Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Case Study in Paying Attention to Signs

Day 3 :  713 miles remaining

Jenn:                “Did that just say the interstate is closed?”
Phil:                  “Oh, um…I wasn’t paying attention.” (driving)
Jenn:                “Have you paid attention to any signs this trip?”
Phil:                  (thinking) “No.  I’m sure it was during a weekend night or something.”
Jenn:                “Aaaand here’s the detour.”
Garmin Lady     “Recalculating!”
Phil:                  “Rrrr!  We’re so close to lunch!  I’m getting hungry anger.”
Garmin Lady     “Recalculating!”
Phil:                  “You know Garmin lady, if I could go that way I would.  Are we still following the detour?  I don’t see any signs.”
Jenn:                “I think so.”
Garmin Lady:    “Recalculating!”
Phil:                  “Sorry Garmin Lady.  Sorry I didn’t take a left turn into that large orange metal post that was in the way of your precious route!  Maybe if you had eyes, you would know I can’t go that way!”
Jenn:                “Easy hon.  It feels like we’re going in a big circle.”
Phil:                  “No, I think we only took three left turns, so if we take one right turn, we’ll be going in the right direction. I think.”
Brynn:               “I need to pee!”
Jenn:                “We’re going to stop for lunch soon sweetie.  Do you see the big bridge?”
Brynn:               “I need to pee!”
Jenn:                “I know sweetheart.  Try to hold it until we can stop.”
Brynn:               “I need to pee!”
Phil & Jenn:      “Just hold on!”
Brynn:               “I need to pee!”
Garmin Lady:    “Recalculating!”
Phil:                  “Arrggghhhh!  Shut up Garmin Lady.  Just shut the hell up!”
Jenn:                “Philip!”
Brynn:               “Philip!  Philip!  Philip!”
Phil:                  “I’m sorry, it was just very noisy and…..no excuse.  I’m sorry."
Jonah:              (crying)
Brynn:               “Shut up mister man.”
Jenn:                (stare)


Luckily, Brynn always had her blanket tunnel as her own private retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment